Sunday, July 8, 2007

Monarch Butterfly


Apparently I've been in a watercoloring mood!
This stamp is from Northwoods Rubber Stamps, and it's called Monarch Butterfly . Is this not a beautiful stamp, or what? And it's pretty versatile. You could use most any sentiment inside this card and it would be appropriate.

I stamped on watercolor paper using Versafine Onyx Black, and embossed with JudiKins Detail Clear embossing powder. The image was colored and shaded with Tombow water based markers and a blender pen.

I am certainly no watercolor expert, but I can tell you a couple of things that work for me. I always start with the lightest shade of a color first. For example, in this image, I colored all the light yellow area first. Then I went back with a medium yellow and blended into the light yellow. You will also notice an orange shade, which I colored last...layering over the other two yellows, blending together.

I use the same approach for all colors...lightest first, then medium, then the darkest. Blend all together with a blender pen. I know I made it sound pretty simplistic, but honestly that's all there is to my approach. It just takes a little practice.

So...that's it for tonight. Tomorrow is a Monday (Ugh!) so I know you are all excited about that. I hope you have a happy week, and tune in again soon.

2 comments:

Alhambra Club said...

WOW, this card is awesome, love the butterfly

Louise (KardKrazy) said...

Another great coloring job!